Monday, May 23, 2011

New chapter, new blog

So, with graduation over a week behind me and my move to Houston a little over a week away, I decided it was a pretty good time to start blogging about my Teach for America/Texas experience, even though I'm still in New Jersey.

On January 18th, sometime around 3:30 pm, I got the most-anticipated email of my life: after a nearly 5 month long application process, I had been accepted into Teach for America. Although I didn't get my first choice placement, I was thrilled. Then, sheer excitement turned into excitement with a little bit of nervousness mixed in- TEXAS?! My apprehensions about trading in my liberal, suburban experience in temperate New Jersey for the southern lifestyle, more conservative social atmosphere, and sweltering summers didn't stop me from accepting my offer to become a TFA Houston '11 corps member. 

Now, in this strange in-between phase, I'm spending my days doing a ton of preparatory work for TFA Induction and Institute, getting back into running shape, and enjoying the time that I have left in NJ with family and friends. This week I'll be doing classroom observations at Terrill and Evergreen- ahh! It will definitely be weird to be in a real classroom again with colorful walls, decorated bulletin boards and such rather than large lecture halls or the job ad/study abroad poster-covered walls of college classrooms!

So, I plan to use this blog for 2 main purposes: to record my experience as a teacher/TFA corps member and to detail my first true experience living away from home. I'm going to try to post updates at least once every other day, but definitely a strict minimum of once per week. Hopefully, other TFA/prospective corps members find the teaching part interesting and you guys can keep up with me when I'm a little too busy to catch up in a more personal way!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney!
    I don't know if you remember me, I was one of your councellors at Hoover in 2002 (Jazz) from Scotland. I remember you - you were the coolest camper! It's been so much fun to find all the girls from camp on Facebook, it seems like so long ago.

    I travel to Houston a couple of time a year, usually in the Spring and Autumn, although I'm heading out the week after next to our office out there. I don't know how I'm going to cope, it's going to be so hot compared with Scotland. I really like visiting there though, there's plenty of good food and margaritas!

    Good luck with the new job and congratulations! I hope you enjoy Texas, let me know if you find any great places to visit or shop - I really want to buy some proper cowboy boots!

    It's fab that you started a blog, I started one a couple of years ago and I love it.
    Have a lovely day,
    Jade (Jazz!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DEFINITELY remember you! I was just looking at my camp pics and had one with you because I had dressed up as you for counselor look-alike! Thanks for the luck!! What brings you to Houston so often?

    ReplyDelete